Pages

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Anonymous

"Anonymous-meaning no name known"

I've often wondered about how quotes are published anonymously.  How can someone say something so clever as to be published, but not be remembered?

I am reading a book from a friend entitled Anonymous.  The book outlines Jesus' anonymous years, and how those years prepared Him for the three years and three days He was not anonymous and changed history.  I'm learning about how to allow the preparation to continue in me.

Often I feel anonymous.  This is not a pity party thing, just a recognition that most people don't find me or my life particularly exciting, alluring, or compelling.  I tend to work along, not expecting to be recognized, but working toward being consistent, dependable and faithful.  I don't push myself into the limelight, or pursue positions of power.  I just want to do what needs to be done, and go home to my husband and cat.

Today I experienced a situation in which I was anonymous, but right where I needed to be.  A new teacher at BFA asked about a particular program, but, when I tried to answer her question, she fell apart, crying that she wasn't getting any help to know how to teach the students she would face in seven days.

I recognized my explanation of a complicated program was not what she needed; I took her to the basics and spent the next thirty minutes walking through the foundational program she would need to keep up with her responsibilities.  At one point her fourteen year old son told me I was to be his mother's tutor for the rest of the year.  I think she felt more ready when we finished.  She left to go home, as I did.  But, before I left, I went to the vice principal and gave him an update about what had transpired.  I asked him to follow up with the new teacher and he agreed he would.

I'm not finished helping her, or helping anyone else.  No one sees neon lights that proclaim "Carolyn, savior of those who are lost!"  There is only One who is that.  I am anonymous, but I am used to be a helper and a guide.  I am much more comfortable in my 'anonymous' skin than I was yesterday.  And, I trust, I'll be even better at it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment