Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Sovereign

Sunday we sang, "Sovereign on the mountain top, sovereign on the ocean floor..."

Usually, I resist change.  I do not like having plans which change without my permission.  And I oppose those who direct my paths in ways I have not chosen.  Leaving Germany for a year has been foisted upon me, causing all kinds of disruption and chaos.  Cleaning the apartment has become a never-ending story.  Most of all, my heart is breaking for all the goodbyes and so-longs.

Smitty has posted "We are excited..." posters around the apartment; I have appreciated the reminder to think of the positives of spending time with our children, grandchildren, and friends.  But I continue to wonder about the wisdom of this move.  Until today...

Today the song's reminder of God's sovereignty over "all the pieces of my life" became a reality. Pieces came together and I can truly rejoice in this season of my life.

The puzzle began to come together on Sunday evening when our downstairs neighbors, Martin and Alice, invited us to a cook out, the first time ever.  Martin, as we ate, proclaimed this cook out to be the first of many our two families would have up our return next summer.  This dinner was born of our revelation to Alice of our imminent departure.

Next, Smitty found a car, just like our daughter and son-in-law want, for us to purchase while in the US, then sell to them before we return to Germany.

And a friend sent us information about a possible rental in Southern California.

This morning the puzzle became even clearer when Smitty asked another of our neighbors if we could get a photo of them.  While talking, another neighbor began to translate and she and I decided we should work together to learn each other's language when the Smiths return in 2017.  I want to not only learn German, but have someone with whom to practice!

I have no idea about what picture this puzzle will finally have.  I do know that both Smitty and I have wanted to have relationships with our fellow apartment dwellers, but without much German have not been clear how to bring about connection.  We both want good attitudes about the unknown before us.  And we want to honor God in all we do.  The events of the past few days have pointed to the sovereignty of God; His ultimate control over all we do.  And it looks like the puzzle will be amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment