Pages

Sunday, March 2, 2014

The Hidden

Hoch Blauen in the distance, the top hidden by clouds.
Hoch Blauen stood shrouded in cloud this morning.  I wanted to know if snow had fallen overnight, but, instead,  the mountain was veiled in mystery and white fluff.  As I turned away from the window, I thought of an issue of my heart that also has been shrouded.

My Sunday morning ritual is to rise, feed Tramp, make coffee, and find my computer.  I listen to a sermon from my OC church while folding the laundry of the past few days.   Today the pastor asked a series of important questions which relate to multiculturalism.  I excitedly answered them to no one in particular.  And then he asked how the listeners feel about buying from someone who does not speak good English.  Whoops.  Now he has gone from fun questions to meddling in my business.

Jim went on to speak about the three Wise Men being the first Gentiles to witness Christ's birth. How throughout the ages God's plan has always been to reach the nations and to draw them to Himself.  Good news.  But my heart was heavy.

I could not erase from my mind the number of times I've been frustrated with drive-through cashiers being difficult to understand.  Or the many parents I silently berated because they had not learned to speak English.  Clearer still was the reminder that time and again I go into this community in Germany and mispronounce or completely forget the German words I need to communicate with my neighbors.  And the Germans continue to accept me and encourage me to keep trying.

Yes, my heart lies shrouded, but not in beauty.  I hide the ugliness of prejudice and pride in my heart. Now that God has revealed it, I can only say thank you.  Thank you, Father, that even when my heart condemns me, You are greater than my heart and You know everything (I John 3:20).

Situations will arise where I judge and disrespect those of other cultures, but, the picture of Hoch Blauen covered in cloud will remind me that my Heavenly Father LOVES the nations.  That being truth, how can I do any less?  By His grace I will love each of them, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment