Pages

Monday, April 21, 2014

Timing

Timing is of the essence.  I am planning a trip back the United States, preceded by a visit by our son and his family. I am struggling with fitting all the details into our son's visit, while, at the same time, scheduling all that needs to be accomplished in the US.

Timing is key, also, for the last six weeks of school.  The lessons I teach must be formed to fit the time allowed.  Hopefully, no major interruptions with topple my carefully crafted plans!

Last week some events in the lives of long-time friends caused me to consider this issue of timing and the anxiety I pour into making everything happen successfully.  The story I am about to tell is based partly on second-hand knowledge, the accounts shared by the family themselves.   The interpretations of the events are my own.

Our friend, Anina, was placed on hospice in early March, with a diagnosis of pancreatic cancer.  Only two months earlier her granddaughter, also our friend, asked her what she wanted to do in 2014 and Anina's answer?  To see Jesus.  She longed for heaven.

We have known Anina, her daughters, their husbands, and her grandchildren for about twenty-five years.  Anina has always been full of energy and determined to model Christ.  She played piano for a Sunday School class into her nineties, and sent out encouraging mailings and devotionals until January of this year.  Anina was well known for her birthday calls, one of which I received this past February. Her huge heart welcomed and encouraged.  She is one of my heroes!

Late in March a friend and I skyped with Anina to wish her well.  She seemed pleased, but not talkative.  On April 5th her family, including her granddaughter from Thailand, assembled at her home to celebrate her 97th birthday and her retirement from Christian service.  On April 12th her Facebook page was filled with happy birthday wishes.  On the 15th, her granddaughter returned to Anina's for a short stay before flying back to Thailand.  Just a few hours later, with daughter, son-in-law, and granddaughter holding her hands, Anina passed into heaven.

Prior to this week,  I entertained the thought I could control my time.  With enough worry, planning, and forethought, I might make events happen on my schedule.  After reflecting on the timely events  of Anina's passing, I know that only One has the omniscience or power.  The scheduling of the Anina's last few months could not be happenstance.   So, for today, I give up striving and trust the One who makes schedules-and timing-effective and does so for our good.




No comments:

Post a Comment