Pages

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Lessons Learned (I Hope)

Have you ever been discouraged because you hadn't learned something you thought you should?  I am a regretter and have problems forgiving myself for not learning lessons in a timely manner.  I especially regret not having made learning German a priority.  No excuses, just regrets!

Last night Smitty and I escaped some of the unusual heat in southern Germany by driving to Lorrach for dinner.  Ice cream beckoned to us, as well.  Before leaving the restaurant (we ate outside!) I asked for the WC-bathrooms in Europe.  The woman behind the bar said something to me which I didn't understand (I hate not understanding basic conversation and beat myself up over it!), but I did understand that I needed a code:  Vier mal die acht.  Ok, vier is 4 and acht is 8, that shouldn't be too hard.  So, downstairs I went to attempt to unlock the code.  Nothing I tried with 4 and 8 opened the door, so back upstairs I went and asked, in German, for her to write it down.  I needed to determine the meaning of 'mal'.   4 x 8.  Hmmmm, that can't be too hard.  But there was no 'x' on the pad.  Dear God, please help me figure this out.  And I began to play with typing 4 several times.  At that moment, I realized:  8, four times!  It worked.  Patience, prayer, perseverance.  Lessons in progress.

As I left school this morning a car pulling a camping trailer pulled over on the sidewalk.  A couple about my age (yes, they really were older than I :)  got out and she began to ask me something, I think in German.  I told her I only speak a little German and a little French (their license told me they had come from Belgium), did she speak English?  She pointed to her husband.   They wanted a frying pan!  And I thought they wanted directions to a local town!  I pointed to Heiber's, the local market, but they had already tried there.  So I told them about Schneider, the kitchen store in town.  We talked a bit about BFA and where I was from and they thanked me and went on.  Lessons learned:  Sometimes I need to use English, and that's ok, too!

This afternoon I decided to wash the windows of our dusty car.  As I wiped the water from the car, a man pulled up next to our apartment and asked me where "DM" might be in town.  "DM" is the personal hygiene store.  A place to buy shampoo and laundry detergent.   And there isn't one in town. There isn't one for about 10 km in both directions!  So, I proceeded to explain that he could find one in Lorrach or Mullheim, but not in Kandern.  I told him that Schlecher, which had been that type of store was no longer here (he knew that!).  And then he asked me about my BFA shirt, so I shared a bit with him about BFA.  Next he asked if our building, right behind me, was the school and I explained the history (briefly) to him.  We talked for about 6-7 minutes.  In German.  And he thanked me and wished me good day.  In German.  I spoke in German today for an extended (extended for someone who rarely uses German) time!

Lessons for today?
1.  I am a life-long learner.  Some things I know and some things I need to keep learning.
2.  I don't have to beat myself up for not knowing, I just need to keep working on learning.
3.  Learning German and German grammar perfectly is far less important that interacting with the people I meet.
4.  No matter what, I'm right where God wants me and He will never leave me to face my fears alone.

Are my lessons learned?  No, but I'm feeling pretty happy about my time in German land right now!



1 comment:

  1. You are doing marvelously! If someone had told me a code was 4x8, I would have immediately typed 32 - and still been standing outside the door with my legs crossed 'til someone told me that 4x8 is really 8 8 8 8. What an unusual way to state the obvious.
    Anyway - you know, deep down inside, that your progress in life is not judged by your fluency in German, but in the effort you put into everything you do, and by doing so, succeeding in making your life and everyone's you share your life with, so much richer. We are so lucky to have you as friends.
    Kathy (and Steve)

    ReplyDelete